Sunday, February 19, 2006

AT&T and blogging

I saw this sign on an Cap metro bus this week. The two things that surprised me were that blog (even in a city as connected as Austin) is regarded as a common enough word that it's used in a big bus campaign and secondly..I wasn't really sure what it meant or what AT&T was promoting.

Image hosting by Photobucket
(note: this is not my photo but one just like the bus i saw)

On their site they define the term blog, and it makes me wonder if people who haven't heard of blogs or are learning about them will come to connect them with AT&T. It's neat that they're trying to facilitate a new technology, but I get the feeling they're more trying to exploit it and get the corner on the market (which is weird since blogs were created so no one could corner them). Their Project D.U. appears to be a blog aggregator and they also sport their own reader program. They have incorporated a few top blogs, such as Arjan writes in their "network" in exchange for running a fat ad on the blogger's page.

But what are they selling? High speed internet, because after all "a majority of the systems that publish these blogs require a high-speed Internet connection and the blogs can only be updated only as rapidly as the author's connection will allow." Seems a little deceptive. I think AT&T, like many other companies in relation to the internet, are trying so hard to stay ahead of the game but they don't really know what they're doing or how to utilize it.

Technorati Tag:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

At the risk of annoying everyone even more, I thought I'd post my two cents: I run the content side of Project DU, which includes an aggregator and a reader, plus a daily guide written by bloggers like Largehearted Boy and Joe Reid of TV Without Pity. We're not really connected to the whole "blogging delivered" campaign. AT&T sees the network less as an opportunity for advertising, and more as an opportunity to "keep one ear to the ground."

Which means, if I do my job right, your "blogging delivered" feedback will land on the desk of someone at corporate AT&T. (Gives bloggers some power, no?)

3/08/2006 2:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home