Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Bloggers turned DJs?


I suppose the line between an Mp3 blogger and a DJ is really quite slim: One collects music and shares online, the other collects music and shares it on the dance floor.

So I should have been less surprised when I got a flier for a party this week where the DJs are listed as The Rich Girls are Weeping, an Mp3 blog. Their name isn't followed by a web address or even written with a .com at the end, nor do they have a title next to their name. Neither of them, from what I can tell, are experienced DJs either.

Funny how nowadays a blogger can become a DJ, a DJ can become a blogger, a blogger can become a celebrity. I think Andy Warhol would have giggled at the way the internet has affected celebrity.
Technorati Tag:

4 Comments:

Blogger cindy hotpoint said...

Thanks for your concern that we're not experienced; at least you can rest assured that we'll actually bring vinyl, and not DJ off iPods, like a lot of bloggers-turned-DJs do. Hope to see you there! (;

6/22/2006 5:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually TRGAW are formerly the Depraved Fan Girls, and they're doing GREAT stuff in the indie mp3 blog landscape. We also threw a really sucessful party together during SXSW -- and they more than did their part to make the crowd happy. Yes, Ultragrrrl is directly responsible for your venom, and mine too, but ther're not the only ones playing that night either...;-)

6/22/2006 8:56 AM  
Blogger Bigredbarbie said...

Just so we're all clear, I was not dissing TRGAW or doubting their DJing abilities. This is precisely why I started my entry saying that DJs and Mp3 bloggers aren't so different. If I was trying to hate on TRGAW I would have said DJs and Mp3 bloggers are nothing alike. By pointing out their lack of DJ experience, I was trying to point out the erosion of the titles and how an Mp3 blog is like a new generation/evolution of the DJ. Now everything should be clear.

6/22/2006 3:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cindy-nothing wrong DJing off ipods or CDs in my humble opinion. ;-)
As long as the sound quality is good and you can hear the tune I dont think that 90% of an audience would care if its vinyl or digital.
Don't get me wrong, vinyl is lovely indeed but its not always possible to get the vinyl of the tunes you like to play.
Is it more important to only play vinyl tunes or to share great tunes in any way possible?
Best of luck.
Cheers
Cubik

7/24/2007 1:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home