Friday, June 02, 2006

Social networks for the rest of us

Myspace gets a lot of flak for being a pickup site or a wellspring for teenage trouble, but the site has refined a concept for social networking that is amazing and unignorably popular. Today many other specialized social networking sites are expanding on the idea and giving adults their own uses for the technology.

  • My boyfriend hasn't checked his myspace in over a month, but he informed me the other day he has just posted his 1000th entry on a car forum site, I suggested he visited carspace or rideroom.

  • My mom and her friends might be able to find another use for social networking outside of spying on their kids with Martha Stewart's new site.

  • And finally, one of my favorite parts of myspace is still being able to stay intimately up-to-date with friends who are far away. Sites like famoodle and cingo are applying this to families and helping them share photos, stories and important dates with one another.

  • Or if you want to just meet strangers try fo.rtuito.us.

Technorati Tag:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

Have you check out http://www.zamily.com ? Its a new family social networking site with cool features like an interactive family tree.

6/04/2006 2:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OurStory.com has a similar service, which allows you to share timelines of personal and family history. There is also a photo feature, as well as the ability to print a nicely bound book which you can give as a keepsake. It's a pretty great site.

6/08/2006 10:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6/11/2006 3:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Rachel, Just read your article and loved it. I am an avid user of Amiglia.com though so I found it weirdly missing from your list. I love Amiglia cause I can connect all of my family in related photo albums and also make an interactive family tree. Bunch of other cool stuff on there too. Anyway, once again - I loved readinf your writing!

6/28/2006 11:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice colors. Keep up the good work. thnx!
»

7/21/2006 6:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home